Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Angelina Jolie Had Double Mastectomy (Breast Removal)








Angelina Jolie had revealed that she had undergone a preventive double mastectomy because she had a very high risk of brerast cancer. The 37-year old American actress wrote in an opinion piece entiyled " My Medical Choice" in the New York Times that she had chosen the procedure as she carries a faulty gene that increases her risk of both breast and ovarian cancer. Jolie, one of the Hollywood's best known faces and the partner of Brad Pitt, said that because of this gene, known as BRCA1, her doctors estimated she had 87 % risk of breast cancer and 50 % risk of ovarian cancer. Her mother died of breast cancer at the age of 58, she said. " Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risks as much I could I made a decision to have preventive double mastectomy," she wrote. " I started with he breasts, as my risk of breast cancer is higher than my risk of ovarian cancer and the surgery is more complex" Jolie wrote. She said on April 27, ahe completed the medical procedures that the mastectomies involved. Jolie said that her risk of developing breast cancer are down to five percent. Jolie and pitt have three sadopted anf three biological children. " I can tell my children they do not need to fear that they will lose me to breast cancer" Jolie said. Her next surgery will be for removal of her ovaries.

No comments: