Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Saturday, April 5, 2014

A Woman With A Beard








Hanaam Kaur was 11-year-old when she started having facial hair due to polycystic ovary syndrome, a condition that is known for excessive hair growth in some women. Harnaam had a tough time. Harnamm did have an ideal childhood and even teen years because of this syndrome. "I was bullied badly. At school I was called 'Beardo' and things like 'shemale' and 'sheman'" she said.
And the problem still exists, " I still get shop assistants calling me 'sir' and strange looks from people. They see my beard first and realize actually I have got breasts,too, It must be confusing for a lot of people." Harnaam tried a lot of remedies like waxing twice a week, bleaching and shaving but nothing worked and all these remedies made her life more difficult and her hair used to grow back way more thicker. Then at age, 16, she entered 'Sikhism' but the decision was not entirely welcome by her family. One of the traits of Sikhs is they let the hair of their body grow. But it was not an easy decision and she did shave off her face after being 'baptised as 'Sikh'. "I removed my beard once during a really low moment. But when I had done it, all I could do was cry because I did not feel myself." she said. Harnaam got all the strength to have a beard on her face from her brother. " My brother was actually the one person who was completely shocked by what I had done- he hugged me and said I had looked so beautiful with my beard he did not understand why I had done so," she explained. And that ws the moment when Harnaam determined to be herself and never worry about all the extra hair. It was from that point that I though I would never remove it again. and finally the lady has learnt to accept and love herself the way she is. " I feel more feminine, more sexy, and I think I look it too. I have learned to love myself for who I am nothing can shake me now.

No comments: