Friday, September 23, 2011
MQM Denies Wikileaks Disclosure About May 12 Mayhem
Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) leader Farooq Sattar has strongly denied a secret US cable quoting him as saying that certain MQM workers were involved in May 12 mayhem.
Sattar said the real victim of May 12 was the MQM and his party’s stance had been clear on the issue.
He stated that May 12 was a horrible act and a conspiracy against his party. "Propaganda is being spread against the MQM and we have faith that this propaganda will not be successful" Sattar said.
Wikileaks had revealed that MQM leader Dr. Farooq Sattar said certain MQM workers, former president Pervez Musharraf, landlords, Inter Services Intelligence (ISI) and other political parties were involved in the May 12, 2007 mayhem in Karachi.
A diplomatic cable sent from Karachi to Washington on 17 May, 2007 contained details of a 40-minute phone conversation between Sattar and Charge d'affaires US Consulate Peter Boday. During the conversation Sattar admitted that certain members of his party were involved in the May 12 incident and the party should consider unarming its militant wing.
Sattar added that the media should have contacted him before running the Wikileaks story.
According to the cable Sattar had informed government officials about those involved in the incident. Sattar said that slogans chanted in favour of Musharraf were not made on his recommendation and MQM Chief Altaf Hussain had dismissed his recommendation on the issue.