Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Follow by Email

Google+ Followers

Google+ Badge

Monday, April 6, 2015

Turkish Authorities Blocked Facebook, Twitter, YouTube And Several Other Websites








A Turkish prosecutor ordered internet providers to block social working websites including Twitter, Facebook and YouTube. The request stems from posting of photos that shows Marxists pointing gun at a prosecutor who died last week in a shootout between police amd Maxists who were holding him hostage. Government officials have blasted Turkish media for posting for posting the images, which they have called anti-government propaganda. The prosecutor Mehmet Selim Kiraz was shot in the head during the standoff and died in a hospital soon after. It was not immediately clear how the social media order was being carried out but the government run Anadolu Agency quoted the Union Of Internet Providers as confirming that access to Twitter and YouTube has been blocked. The agency said the access was blocked because Twitter and YouTube did not remove the images of the prosecutor despite an official notification. It says The Internet Providers immediately notified Twitter and YouTube but video, photographs and audio continued to be posted on these sites. Last year, Turkish government blocked access to YouTube and Twitter after audio recording of a secret security meeting or tapes suggesting corruption by government officials were leaked on the social media sites. Turkey's highest court, however, overturned the bans, deeming them to be unconstitutional. Previous moves by Turkish authorities to block the social media networks have provided widespread criticism by Western governments and human rights organisations. Many tech-savvy users, including Erdogan ally Abdullah Gul found ways to circumvent bans both on Twitter and YouTube while they were in place.

No comments: