Friday, February 25, 2011
China Has Evacuated 12000 Citizens From Libya
China has so far evacuated 12,000, or about a third, of its citizens from turmoil in Libya, many of them workers for Chinese-run projects and businesses in the oil-rich nation, official media said on Friday.
The mass evacuation effort, supported by a Chinese naval frigate, is the latest test for a government that has encouraged companies to seek business across the developing world, often in conditions considered too dangerous, difficult or poorly paid for Western firms.
In 2010, Chinese trade with Libya was worth $6.6 billion, arise of 27 percent on the level in 2009.
Relieved workers arrived on a charter flight to Shanghai on Thursday, and some told they were working at a university construction site in the eastern city of Tobruk that was attacked by armed looters.
Local staff told them to leave the increasingly dangerous conflict pitting opposition forces against long-time leader Muammar Gaddafi.
The Chinese workers stayed at a Tobruk hotel for two nights before the local staff and embassy officials arranged for cars to ferry them to the Egyptian border.
The latest evacuation figure reported by China's Xinhua news agency means around two-thirds of the 36,000 Chinese who live in Libya may still be there, where a nationwide wave of protests against Gaddafi has met a fierce response from his security forces.