Total Pageviews

Popular Posts

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Same- Gender Marriage Is Now Supported By Obama








With an eye on upcoming national elections, President Barack Obama on Wednesday announced he now supports same-gender marriage, reversing his long-standing opposition.Amid growing pressure from the Democratic base, the president described his thought process as an “evolution” that led him to this place, based on conversations with his own staff members, openly homosexual service members as well as his family members. I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbours when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-gender relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don’t Ask Don’t Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same gender couples should be able to get married,” Obama said in an interview to appear on ABC’s “Good Morning America” on Thursday.Excerpts of the interview will air tonight on ABC’s “World News with Diane Sawyer.” In 2010, Mr Obama said his views on the issue were “evolving”, a stance that had frustrated homosexuals rights supporters and donors.His comments came a day after North Carolina approved a constitutional amendment effectively banning same-gender marriage or civil unions.Before that vote, the Obama campaign had opposed the measure, which was passed with 61% in favour and 39% against.
While Mr Obama is the first US president to support gay marriage, correspondents said the president’s views on homosexual marriage were likely to upset some voters.Some African-American voters oppose same-gender marriage on religious grounds.Mitt Romney, the Republican candidate who is all but certain to challenge Mr Obama for the White House in November’s elections, reiterated that he did not support gay marriage.The former Massachusetts governor told a Fox News affiliate: “I indicated my view, which is I do not favour marriage between people of the same gender, and I do not favour civil unions if they are identical to marriage other than by name.“My view is the domestic partnership benefits, hospital visitation rights, and the like are appropriate but that the others are not.”

No comments: